The West Somerset Steam Railway Trust
Support the work of the West Somerset Steam Railway Trust
The Trust runs the museums at Bishops Lydeard and Blue Anchor Stations. Both museums are financed by donations from visitors and admission is free. We rely on our members to help us by welcoming and guiding visitors around.
Gauge Junction, the Model Railway
This is housed in the Gauge Museum at Bishops Lydeard and is a great way to get young people involved. We need volunteers to help build and run the railway.
GWR Sleeping Car No 9038
This coach was one of three introduced by the GWR in 1897 to carry First Class passengers between Paddington and Fishguard and the Irish ferry. In 1985 this historic vehicle was rescued from a farm by the Trust. It was painstakingly rebuilt and restored by Trust volunteers and was returned to traffic in 2006.
Heritage Carriages Project
The Trust has started on a long-term project to restore a complete rake of GWR carriages for use on the railway. The first of these, No. 6705, is almost ready to be returned to traffic. We have a number of other carriages and are now beginning work on these. This is a long-term project and we rely on members and volunteers to support this work.
The Trust newsletter is sent to members about twice a year and contains news, information, comment and historical articles.
Become a volunteer
We need people with all types of skills, the Trust can only carry out its work through the donations and help of its members:
- Practical skills to help rebuild our coaches – woodworking, painting, metalworking.
- We need people to build and operate our model railway.
- We need you if you have people skills to help show our visitors around. If you could help us either in a regular working party or at other times, please get in contact.
Become a Member
If you are interested in becoming a member of the Trust and would like to find out more about volunteering please contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org, write to the Trust office at Bishops Lydeard (please see the Contacts page for more information) or fill out a copy of the printer friendly form, please click here to obtain a copy.
Anyone making a minimum donation to the Trust can apply to be a member. The minimum donation is currently £1 a month (£12 a year). You may find it convenient to make your donation by Standing Order.
As a member:
- Members are entitled to attend and vote at general meetings of the Trust.
- Members are entitled to discounted travel on regular WSR trains.
- Members will receive a personal copy of the Trust’s newsletter, sent by email or post as you prefer.
- If you are a higher rate taxpayer, you can apply to reclaim additional tax relief on your donations.
- The Trust is able to reclaim income tax currently equivalent to 25% of your donation.